Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Sounds Like Fun

A student at Emerson came to my desk this morning saying, "I want to show you something on the computer. It is really cool."

She is right. This is cool.

A website promoting fantasy and science fiction for children and teens now has a book club. Members will read the same book and then "meet" in the virtual realm to discuss it. The site charges a small fee ($8.00) to join the group. If you are under 13, you must have your parent help you sign up for this group. As with any group that allows discussions, you need to be aware that some people will post things which you may not like. You should also be willing to participate often with the discussions. Check it out. Let me know if you join.

Wands and Worlds Book Club

They are starting their book club with one of my favorite books which, by lucky coincidence, I introduced awhile ago to this very friend who completes the circle by sharing this book club with me----The True Meaning of Smekday by Adam Rex. I have talked about it in a previous post on this blog so scan back through to find more complete information. It is one of the funniest books I have read in a long, long time. It is also filled with much to ponder about colonization, treatment of indigenous peoples, and history in general. The premise is that space aliens have taken over the earth. A young girl is asked to write about her experiences when the aliens arrived. Her experiences with her cat and a an alien who calls himself JLo are hilarious. Enjoy.

I love hearing about these things, so if you know of something else that would be fun to share with everyone, please let me know.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Linda,

Thanks for posting a link to our book club! I love The True Meaning of Smekday too, obviously, and am looking forward to chatting about it! (Last year, I was on a committee that selected it as a finalist for the Cybils award - www.cybils.com).

It's a pleasure to meet another book lover and a friend of a friend!