Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Reading is Fun--Don't You Forget It

"Enjoy the summer, but read and do math." That is what the sign outside a local elementary school says. I saw it a couple of days ago and it still nags at me. The sign makes it sounds as though reading and enjoying summer are mutually exclusive. Good grief! I read for enjoyment all the time and look forward to summer in part because it often means more reading time. I also sometimes use the extra free time to do math puzzles and word puzzles.

This is one of my many pet peeves. When adults make reading or learning seem like punishment or a required time-out from having fun, then kids and adults soon view such things as not possibly being fun.

Let's show those folks the truth. This summer, I challenge everyone to read and have fun at the same time. Read while hanging upside down! Read books that make you laugh. Read books that make you cry. Read something that you read and enjoyed when you were half the age you are now. Read inside and outside. Just read for the pure joy of it.

Have a great summer by reading--and doing math.

No comments: